1. The Bazaar and the Cathedral
- to solve a real pain point,
- to deliver clear and immediate benefits with a promise from a brand,
- to assume the promise and help to setup the “smart system”,
- to face the customer (accessibility) and not to shy away from troubleshooting and customer service.
2. The Plateau of the Smartphone Platform
- For some the goals, we are near the optimal
performance that the human user may appreciate. It is very clear for screen
resolution (this is why the “retina display” label was proposed by Apple) and
it is also true for screen size (I find it interesting to see that 5 inches
seems to be the “average optimal size” since this is the value that Intel
announced more than 10 years ago, before the iPhone was introduced, as the
result of an in-depth customer study).
- Some of the constraints are between “click and mortar” disciplines, between exponential technologies and mechanical engineering, and the rate of improvement is much lower for the second group. For instance, it is clear that the improvement of CPU/GPU comes with an electric consumption price and that battery capacity is slowing down the evolution. Similarly, thinness comes at the expense of sturdiness.